Sunday 30 March 2014

First commission-free cake order

In order to practice what I learnt from the Cake Decorating programme at Le Cordon Bleu, friends and families have been informed to come to me for commission-free cake orders (i.e. only ingredients are charged as I have yet to establish a business properly). 

This first order was made by my colleague for another colleague at work for his birthday. Making a cake for a bloke is actually outside of my comfort zone as I usually go for anything cute and/or pink-coloured. Requirements for the cake is that it has to be chocolate-flavoured and be able to feed around 20 people - everything else is up to me to be creative. After some planning in the head I decided to keep things simple and utilise some ninja cookie cutters given to me as gifts last Christmas to achieved a boy-themed cake. 

I have tried many chocolate cake recipes in the past but none actually turned out ok or simple. A new recipe was chosen for the cake as it looked simple enough and has many good reviews - BBC Easy Chocolate Cake. It was indeed so easy to make apart from the chocolate icing - it was still too gooey and runny to lay fondant icing over it easily. 

 Here it is - a boy-themed birthday cake! 

The birthday boy seemed pleased with the cake and everyone kept on commenting on how tasty and moist the cake was. This easy chocolate recipe will be used over and over again. Very glad that the first order was well received :)

Sparkling Piggy


No comments:

Post a Comment