Thursday 30 January 2014

Le Cordon Blue Cake Decorating Programme 5 - Mexican Paste

Ahhh chocolate!! How I love thee!! 

The lesson started with us slowly cooking certain ingredients of chocolate fudge cake on a stove and then slowly combining this mixture with dry ingredients - the key is to temper the dry ingredients gradually to avoid them from getting cooked by the hot mixture. This whole process was rather tiring as we each prepared enough batter for at least 5 cake tins. Stirring and making sure everything is well mixed made my arms and hands sooooo sore! The cake tins are then sent to be baked for the next lesson. 

We then moved on to making our own Mexican paste. This was my first encounter with the paste and I never knew making it would be rather easy - tylose powder is the key! The chef then demonstrated how to use the paste to make drapes, swags, frill and ribbons. As time was running out for us to decorate a dummy cake using techniques learnt from this lesson, my dummy cake only showcased drapes and swags.

I actually attempted to make some frills but as my palms were hurting like hell from rolling the Mexican paste as this as possible (which I failed to do so.....the force was not with me that evening), using toothpicks to roll the frills was too much for me......... 

Now I understand why some cake decorators are so skinny when they are surrounded with cakes - rolling pastes is definitely an energy consuming task!

Sparkling Piggy


No comments:

Post a Comment