Saturday 8 February 2014

First solo huge cake project - and transported it overseas!

Now that the cake decorating lesson is more than half way finished (4/10 lessons left), I've decided to make a huge cake as a visiting gift to friends in Greece. Fondant icing and I are still getting well acquainted but I am now getting my hands on every opportunity to practice using it.

The cake is Victoria sponge based again (it can never go wrong so I only had the decorating bit to worry about). As there was not enough time to acquire petal paste (or tylose powder to make petal paste using fondant icing), almost every decoration was done using fondant icing for the cake.


Making roses, leaves and the ribbon base using fondant icing was simply a crazy hard thing to do - things kept on breaking and I almost pulled all of my hair out. The end result is still a bit wonky with many flaws but at least it was sturdy enough to survive a plane journey from London to Athens (as carry-on luggage) and my friends in Greece all liked it very much.

Sparkling Piggy

No comments:

Post a Comment