Thursday 13 February 2014

Le Cordon Blue Cake Decorating Programme 8 - Sugar Flower

So many ways of many sugar flowers were learnt today. Our chef (Julie) brought in a tray full of incredibly realistic flowers she made as examples:

 Chef Julie's sugar flowers - they are so pretty!

After demonstration we spent the rest of the lesson making flowers we will use for the final cake project of the course (tiered wedding cake). I proceeded to try and make at least 1 of each the demonstrated flowers but the results were horrifying. I could not get the size of my flower stamens correct - my lily had a really fat stamen and almost couldn't wrap the leaf around it; my rose stamens were commented on by chef Matthew for being.....again too big..........

Luckily by the end of the lesson I had an idea about the types of flowers to use for the final project - small daisies, hydrangeas and blossoms all in different colours. They are easier to make (not less time consuming though due to the number and size of them). I went home with some colourful small flower stamens and the very next day I visited a cake decorating shop and bought a bag full of petal paste, food colourings and flower press/moulds. Time to get sugar flower making! 


Time to get sugar flower making! 

Sparkling Piggy

No comments:

Post a Comment